Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Running with Friends

How many of you combine exercise with social time?

I was never one for group sports growing up.  I preferred tennis, swimming, and reading ;)

I tried softball, was decent at it, was the pitcher and all, but really didn't care for it.

In my 20s, I loved going to the gym and doing froup exercise classes- loved Step!!  But did it for myself.  I started running in college- but on my gym's treadmill.  Such a shame, never ran while I lived on campus.  I did run planty of times off campus, miss all those trails!

But I always ran by myself, for myself.  I was part of the original John Bingham's Penguin Runners back in the 90s, and met up with some locals for that group to do some relay runs.  But I still ran for myself.

I have certainly run alot with my kids.  Pushing them in the jogging stroller, then the double jogger, now they are bored with it.  And I have gotten a few of my friends excited to run.  And we have run races together, but not really together, because now my friends outrun me.

And I have run with my dog.  Who loves to run, and waits at the door whenever I go out.  Whines at the door while I am out on my long runs.  And gets a few laps when I get back.

But I have never been part of a running group, or team.  There are many groups out there that meet weekly for runs before or after work.  Train for races together.  Share in lost toenails and new shoes.  Celebrate the PR's and the DNF's.

Soooooo...... I joined a group called Joggalates.  We meet at 5:15am!  And we run 2-3 miles and then do Pilates.  And I get home before the kids are awake.  Win-win situation, huh? 

It sure is early!  But I enjoy getting the workouts in.  I am too tired to talk myself out of it.  I am more likely to get going if others are there waiting for me.

And then one of them lives near me and invited me to their weekly 5am runs.  I may have to get some cold weather gear first.  And if I buy a running headlamp, does that make me a geek?

But, needless to say, I am branching out and trying to be less solitary.  And hopefully it will help my fitness and keep me accountable.

-----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of accountability.....
I'm creating an Insanity and Turbo Fire Accountablilty group.  Come join my Beachbody Challenge group and help you get and keep fit throught the Holidays.  Get a leg up on all those Resolutioners!  Contact me for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment