Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Back Up Plan

Most runners training for a longish distance race follow some sort of training plan. We have to ramp up our mileage, practice for hills, and work on our speed. Then check it off on our nice little calendar that it was done, then all will be perfect and we will PR the race. Right?

Well, not everyone's lives are nice and perfect and tied with a bow. Not mine certainly! I'm all for setting goals and making plans to reach those goals. But when do you do when LIFE (not excuses), gets in the way of those plans?

We need a back up plan.

My long runs poo on the thought of plans, I guess. Last week I was supposed to run 12 miles on Wednesday. Pretty much my only time for long runs, since my son is at preschool for 2.5 hours that day. 12 miles takes me just about 2.5 hours with time for a mini cool down and stretching. That is if I run around the preschool and don't mind looking like a rat drowned in sweat picking him up.

Why is that the only time I can run? Well, I could wake up at 5am and run my whole long run in the dark before hubbie leaves for work... An option, yes, but not ideal. I could run on the treadmill while my son watches a movie. Not ideal for either of us.

Sooooooo..... My daughter wakes up with an ear infection. I take her to the doctor while my son is at preschool. Then have to run to the grocery store and pharmacy. Then pick son up from preschool.

Luckily, my husband offers to watch the kids that afternoon after his conference call for me to run. By that time it is pushing75 degrees and full sun... Too hot for me! So instead, I ran 8 miles on the treadmill, and planned another 6 for Friday to make up my miles. That was my backup plan for the week.

Next week I am already to plan B before it even starts. Preschool has a parent meeting during preschool hours when my long run is planned. Plan B.... My husband is going (eegads!) so sign me up for the good stuff at e parties dear! I fear I will be game leader at each party!

What are your back up plans?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment